Officially released in January 2020, The Vegan Armenian Kitchen Cookbook is a self-published project between Lena, the author and recipe developer, and Siroon, the photographer and food stylist. Filled with over 115 recipes, the cookbook highlights the plant-based and Lenten staples present in both Armenia and the diaspora, and includes a selection of veganized classics.
While the recipes are the main component of this venture, The Vegan Armenian Kitchen Cookbook is an all-in-one resource for Armenian cooking which is intertwined with its rich culture and heritage. From food idioms and detailed explanations on dishes, names and customs, to pantry staples, menu pairing and holiday planning, The Vegan Armenian Kitchen Cookbook will be an invaluable tool that will serve not only to educate and fascinate readers on Armenian cuisine and history, but also inspire them to create the plant-based and veganized dishes in their own kitchen!
On June 16, 2021, it was announced that The Vegan Armenian Kitchen Cookbook was shortlisted for the Taste Canada Awards! The Taste Canada Awards “annually honours superior writing and publishing throughout Canada’s culinary community, in English and French”. The Vegan Armenian Kitchen Cookbook is shortlisted in the Regional/Cultural Cookbooks category of the 2021 Taste Canada Awards!
A portion of proceeds from every cookbook benefits Centaur Animal-Assisted Therapy and Rescue Center in Ushi, Armenia.
Where (else) to buy:
- Zangak Publishing House: 49/2 Komitas Avenue, Yerevan, Armenia
- Artbridge Bookstore Cafe: 20 Abovyan Street, Yerevan, Armenia
- National Library of Armenia: 72 Teryan St, Yerevan, Armenia
- Hamazkayin Bookstore: 45 Hallcrown Place, Toronto, Ontario
- YamChops: 705 College Street, Toronto, Ontario
- Mamajoun Armenian Pizzeria: 209 Ellesmere Rd, Unit #6, Scarborough, Ontario
- Antikka Cafe & Records: 960 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church: 920 Progress Ave, Scarborough, Ontario
- 57 Végane: 5475 Royalmount Ave #107, Mount Royal, Quebec
- Abril Books: 415 E Broadway, Glendale, California
- Sardarabad Bookstore: 225 S Glendale Avenue, Suite B, Glendale, California
- HayPost: 124 N Brand Blvd, Glendale, California
- Gravel Florals and Curiosities: 938 N. Brand Blvd, Glendale, California
- Armenian Museum of America: 65 Main St, Watertown, Massachusetts
- National Association for Armenian Studies and Research: 395 Concord Ave, Belmont, Massachusetts
- Arax Market: 585 Mt Auburn St #4154, Watertown, Massachusetts
- St. John Armenian Church: 22001 Northwestern Hwy, Southfield, Michigan
- AGBU Bookstore: 55 E 59th St, New York, NY
- Sts. Constantine & Helen Antiochian Orthodox Church Bookstore: 1225 E. Rosemeade Pkwy, Carrollton, Texas
- Manoushee Mediterranean: 27131 Sierra Hwy #100, Canyon Country, California
Alik Eleyjian –
I’ve been following Vegan Armenian Kitchen for sometime now through social media since I am a vegan and was excited to find more Armenians in the vegan community. Once the cookbook was launched, I knew I had to get it. I missed our foods I use to enjoy that I gave up many years ago and now I get to consume those things again without feeling bad about the negative impact on the animals and the planet. Going vegan is the best decision I’ve ever made, getting this cool book is the second best.
Alik thank you for this lovely comment–so appreciated! I hope you continue creating, sharing, and enjoying recipes from the cookbook! 🙂
Aline Goganian –
This is a deliciously beautiful cookbook!!! It highlights many traditional vegan recipes as well as some modern renditions. A great gift for both Armenians and the cooking enthusiast! I really enjoy how it tells the history and story of the dishes too, making it digestable to everyone.
Thank you Aline, so happy to know you are enjoying all aspects of the cookbook!
Sareen B –
I have been vegetarian for 10+ years and LOVE the contents of this cookbook! I can now cook and eat Armenian foods, following actual recipes (a huge help as there aren’t many Armenian recipes online, and any family I ask gives measurements “to taste,” and I can eat every single dish included since they are all vegan. Additionally, the inclusion of the origins of most recipes and how they’re traditionally eaten is a major bonus! Love it.
Thank you so much for your review Sareen, so glad you are enjoying all the contents of the cookbook! 🙂
Lara Vanian-Green –
This is an absolute MUST for every Armenian (and non-Armenian) kitchen! Every recipe I’ve made so far has been a huge hit. Honestly, it’s the only cookbook that is consistently referred to in my home.
Thank you so much Lara for your kind words! So happy you love the cookbook <3