Olive and Walnut Salad, or Shepherd’s Dinner, is a delicious dish that hails from Musa Ler, which is rich in both olives and walnuts. It is said to have been created out of utility, as it was a quick and accessible meal for those working the land.
On top of it being very flavourful and unique, the festive colour combination of the green olives and ruby red pomegranate arils makes it a perfect addition to any holiday table!
- 1½ cups green olives, pitted, either whole or sliced
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup roughly crushed walnuts
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses or syrup
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh pomegranate arils (optional)
- Mix the olives, onion, walnuts, parsley, and pomegranate molasses or syrup together.
- Add the tomato paste and olive oil and mix very well. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- Top with fresh pomegranate arils (if using), and enjoy!